Saturday, February 05, 2005

Feed Me

Today I got one of those hankerings. I wanted a spicy crab hand roll. I enjoy the sushi but it is quite spendy so lately I have not had it. There is a sushi bar in Oceanside that has an all you can eat sushi bar, so tonight I made my sister go with me, yippee. I was so hungry when we got there but a bit nervous. There is a big sign that says: Please do not waste food! Any left over food on your plate will be charged and added to your bill (Even Rice).
I was paying for this all you can eat sushi-palooza as my sister's birthday present. Any of you who really know me know that I am cheap. I don't like parting with my money, it's the Scottish way I guess. Point being we weren't going to get caught with any leftovers. But you also want to eat enough to cover the cost of the all you can eat dinner. It's a very fine line we walk here.
We started out strong and ate until we broke even and then some. My sister said she was still good to go so she ordered one more roll. A caterpillar roll, that's a California roll with avocado on the top, or so that's what Jose our sushi chief told us. I was pretty full but not to be out done I ordered a Philadelphia roll. Right when we put our order in, my inner voice (that's the one that helps me know right from wrong) said, "retract that order Jewd, you'll never finish it and you'll be charged 5 more dollars!" I listened to my voice and said, "oh I don't think I can eat, that, I'm going cancel my order." My sister assured me I would be fine and because she is bigger and older than me I listened. Jose gave me my Philadelphia roll and my sister her caterpillar roll and I knew I was going to have to cough up 5 bucks. She freaked out because there was eel on her caterpillar roll; silly Jose forgot to mention that part. I ate one to show her it wasn't that bad and when I did I realized how full I really was. It was Thanksgiving-dinner-lay-down-on-the couch full. I wasn't going to be beat though and I got about 3 pieces of my roll down, unfortunately there was 4 more left. I ate the salmon out of one and then my sister got a really good idea. I shoved one in my mouth and ran into the bathroom and spit it out in the trash. Yes I know, I am a huge dork, but remember 5 dollars! I got back and had to face the last two pieces. I ate the one more salmon and then camouflaged the remaining pieces in with the ginger. I was so full I thought I was going to hurl all over Jose. I successfully concealed the remaining roll under plates, in my soy sauce and in napkins. Guess what... I still have the 5 dollars and I am officially "off" sushi for awhile.

Tomorrow we are going up near Pasadena for a Super Bowl party where I plan to eat and eat until I am close to exploding because I am Catholic and Lent starts on Wednesday. In the morning I'm off to the YMCA to walk 3 or 4 miles on the treadmill to make some room for the next time the sushi craving comes a calling.