Monday, May 07, 2007

Tri-UMPH!

If you are playing at home you know I have 13 days until my XTERRA Off Road Sport triathlon. And for the past 4 months I have been pounding the pavement and hitting the trails running and mountain biking and today I remembered...TRI-athlon. I had forgot about the swimming aspect. Oops. Needless to say I have the calves of an African bushman and the upper body strength of a kitty...a premature one eyed no tailed kitty named Lucky...did I mention Lucky has fleas? This was evident today in the pool (not the flea part, but the weak like a kitty part). I looked at my time from last year and saw I swam a half mile in 17 minutes so I set the old egg timer for that amount of time and jumped in the pool. The golden retriever and yellow lab followed right in behind me. At first I was annoyed because they swim one on either side of me unlike secret service running next to a president but this was in the pool and they had no ear devices. But then I realized how they would get me use to people thrashing about in the water next to me during the actual race. Good dogs.
Today was the first day in my training where I did all three things. Now on their own no big deal.
750m swim, 15k Mountain Bike and a 5k trail run...but when you put them all in a row it makes a considerable difference. Like eating at Taco Bell. Eating just one taco is no big deal, nor eating one burrito or one tostada but when you do it all in a row, that's where you run into trouble. And strangely enough that's why I am doing this triathlon, because I eat 3 things in a row at Taco Bell...or 5 I'm not good at math.