Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I Would Walk 500 Miles...or 484.67 Miles

About 3 weeks ago I spoke at a Steubenville conference and while there was reconnected with my my buddy Fr. Dave.  I picked up his book, "Hiking the Camino" and figured I could read it sometime this summer but after my direct TV was on the fritz on the flight home I cracked it open and read the whole darn thing.  I usually never read a book that fast and this thing didn't even have pictures!  But what I read I loved, it combined my two favorite things, walking and Jesus (not in that order). Camino de Santiago, or the Way of St. James, is a Pilgrimage, and while I have been on many I have never walked almost 500 miles to the bones of an apostle. But it makes sense that I have been training for just such a thing for the past few years as all I do is walk and talk about Jesus, perfect match!
So we shall see.  Currently I am reading up on sleeping bags and back packs, the right shoes and how to bring enough imodium for a 30 + day hiking trip.  Sounds fun right? I know! Wait, I'm not kidding, it sounds fun to me and I can't wait to tell you all about it.