Monday, September 19, 2005

Eulogy-palooza

Usually I am not a real big fan of funerals, vigils etc. but tonight was an exception. We had a rosary and mass for my 85-year-old friend who died (basically it was kind of like the Pope’s funeral, except less candles) and I got to say a few words about her. I say it was like when the Pope died because she was so holy and so good that like when the Pope died although tears were shed you couldn't really be sad because if you have to worry about where the Pope is going when he died you and me are out of luck.
Tonight I heard stories of a lady who made a positive difference in the lives of every person she came in contact with. It made me wonder what people might say about me when I get hit by the proverbial dump truck. Not that I was funny, or didn't kick puppies but would they say that I was a good person? Would they say that I was a good friend? That I was someone who they could trust? Someone who they could call in the middle of the night if they wanted to change the channel but their remote control was out of batteries?