Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Virginia Mae

It's the first day of July and in my house that means one thing, my mom's birthday!
Usually by her actual birthday we have all given her birthday presents all ready because either we can not contain ourselves to wait until her actual birthday to shower her with presents or she gives us those puppy dog eyes and we just can't refuse and we buckle and pre-gift her.
I'm way too young to have a mom who is 70 but she's only 70 on paper.
The truth is she has more energy than me and about 99 percent of the people I know.
When I travel and meet grandmas and grandpas I am always surprised when they tell me they are in their 60's because my mom (and dad) could totally kick their butt's!
Age really is all in your head.
Now some people freak out when they hit certain numbers, but in the end it's what you do with the number. I know a lot of 40 year olds who will never do half the stuff my mom will do just in the next week.
Basically I'm hoping her genes are my size and I can borrow heavy from them...I know I can't fit into her wedding dress, that's not true, my left thigh made it through. All I know is that when I grow up I want to be just like my mom. And when I finally do grow up she'll be there, dragging me somewhere three steps behind.
Happy birthday mom! I love you.