Saturday, April 02, 2005

JP2

I just got done performing at a comedy night with my friend Mark Hart at a parish in Colorado. When we got there people were crying and wondering why we were going to perform comedy the night the Pope died. But what better way to celebrate his life!

Pope John Paul II knew that death is not the end of the story; it's just the beginning. If we have to worry about anybody at death it is not this pope, he's got the expressway home! I can't help but smile when I think of how much joy he is experiencing right now; he has no more physical pain. He died with dignity and grace and showed us that life is precious no matter how young or old you are.

My favorite memory of JPII is from the first time I saw him in Denver at a World Youth day. Millions of Catholic teens shouting, "JP2 WE LOVE YOU!" this went on and on until he quieted down the crowd and told us "JP2 He loves you!"

Twelve years later and I am back in Denver in the same hotel no less...coincidence...probably but a very cool coincidence.

The Pope's dying word was "Amen". What a great way to end a life lived as a prayer.