Thursday, May 11, 2006

A "Loserness" Letter


The deflation of Moses as he descended Mt. Sinai.
The struggles of Job’s pestilence.
The humiliation of Peter’s denial.

None of these Biblical catastrophes can capture my emotions at this moment.

I feel humbled. I feel weak. I feel bloated – although that’s more from dinner than anything else.

Watching the basketballs leave my hands – shot after shot – blurred into a mountain of orange … a flame of sunkist that was sobered by the neon glow of red that seared the truth I climbed to deny. The truth? Judy McDonald – 50, Fr. Mark – 48.

The truth of Judy’s victory sealed that which I cannot deny – BBJ is more a man than me. I cannot deny it, so I must embrace it.

To all of the readers of this beloved website, I publicly acknowledge that BBJ did indeed beat me in hoops.

However, to her I say this –

Moses led Israel to the promise land.
Job was redeemed.
Peter was the first Pope.

And, Judy, all of them were men – and you’re not.

Fr. Mark