Tuesday, July 08, 2008

What's So Golden About the Golden Girls?

There are many opportunities in life to bond with one's parents. Playing catch with your dad, walking on the beach with your mom, playing catch with your mom on the beach while your dad watches or selling watches out of the back of your mom's car while your dad watches for cops. The choices are endless, but how many of us take the time to bond?
Well, I do losers.
I bond better than Goop glue. And what has brought the bonding together? The Golden Girls. None other than Dorothy Petrillo Zbornak, Blanche Devereaux, Sophia Petrillo and Rose Nylund. Those sexy senior citizens bridge the age gap between me and my mom...and what about my dad? He bonds with us because he hates that show. It turns out Bea Arthur was on a show called 'Maude' a few years back which my dad did not agree with a certain episode so now every Golden Girl must now carry the shame and resenment of Patch. Good thing they have such broad shoulder pads.
The goodness that comes from watching the Golden Girls with my mom is that we can both laugh at old ladies saying dirty things but it's OK because it's on Lifetime and that's not naughty. My mom can say, "oh she's so bad" when Sophia says something inappropriate and I can silently agree with Sophia and wonder why my mom thought that what she said was inappropriate but be happy that she's mad at Sophia and not at me.
We can judge Blanche for being a swinging gal but then also judge Dorothy for judging Blanche for being said gal and feel good that we aren't as bad as either of them. And of course we all feel smarter than Rose who always seems to get the best lines and in the end is vastly morally upstanding than have the population of Miami.
The Golden Girls proves that at the end of the day Catholics, Lutherans and Baptists can come together and solve any problem that might come their way as long as they stick together and eat cheesecake.