Sunday, December 04, 2005

Karate Pope

I just spent 10 hours watching a Kempo Karate tournament that my two nephews and sister competed in, and I want my money back. Technically I did not pay to get in but if I would have, technically I would want that 8 bucks back. Here is my complaint, not enough blood shed. They hit or kick and then the judge stops them to award a point before anyone gets smacked around enough to be even remotely entertaining.
Nothing like the Karate Kid! At one point when the black belts were fighting, one twisted his ankle and was reminiscent of a Daniel-son crane moment, with the passing of Mr. Miyagi I thought it would have been most appropriate but...no. I did get most my Ignatius of Loyola book almost done. I think I relate to Ignatius because he really never wanted to get a job, he just wanted to rely on God for everything so he would just beg for his food. That's kind of what I do now with my parents. People use to make fun of him (do you go to hell for making fun of a saint?) for begging because he was not sick or unable to work, I get that all the time! I should be done with this book by tonight and then what? I hope it doesn't get around that I read a book in less than 40 hours, one with NO PICTURES I might add.

And then I get home to watch the CBS movie about the life of John Paul II and the actor portraying papa is the dude from "The Princess Bride"! I must say he had the Pope's voice down but when I would look at him all I could think of was quotes from the movie, "buttercup". They should have had Fred Savage narrating the story to his grandson, that would have been the ultimate tie in. That would have even made comic book guy from the Simpsons proud.