Sunday, January 23, 2005

Get Funky

I saw the Irish band the Chieftains last night; by the way they all have eyebrows that are fire hazards. They have been together for about 40 years playing all over the world. Their leader, a little guy called Paddy Maloney is a firecracker on stage. He towers at five feet and looks the part of an Irish leprechaun. The whole time I was watching them I was so envious. Their whole two hour set was so full of energy, everyone on stage was either tapping a toe or stomping their feet. Keeping beat yes but really getting into their art, felling what they are doing. Not only them but also the audience was stomping and hooting and clapping. Comedians miss out on that. I have never seen a comedian get so into a joke that they hoot after. Or tell a really good punch line and then bag pipers come out and you get goose bumps. But I had a choice I guess. I could have taken a different career path and picked up the Ullian Pipes instead but no, I had to tell jokes. One time at a club, I made a lady laugh so hard that she choked and almost died...I guess that's pretty close.