Thursday, December 30, 2004

911 what is your emergency?

Driving home from the Comedy Store tonight I drove very slow and careful because that's what my parent told me to do before I left. The rain let up when I exited the 5 freeway going north and started heading east on the 78. I was driving nice and slow in the far right lane and a jetta was to my right. Up ahead I saw some flashing high way patrol lights and a ton of brake lights, obviously an accident from a stupid California driver getting scared because of the rain. As I got closer I saw that the two CHP's were directing cars off the freeway so I stayed in my lane and began to let cars merge to exit. Then I heard a tremendous crash and looked over and saw that jetta spinning in the middle lane, airbags deployed and an SUV skidding across the freeway. Holy crap! I called 911 and hung up, was this really an emergency? Yes, the air bags exploded and I saw the one dumb man getting out of his car in the middle of the freeway, hello! So I called 911 again and told the man that I had just witnessed an accident on highway 78 west just before the college exit. I told him that two officers were directing traffic off the freeway less than a block from the accident and they didn't even see what had happened. Though in thinking about it now, they were probably responsible for the whole damn thing. If they had made cars merge and exit so quickly I would have been spared the emotional damage. They took my name and phone number and I hung up and realized how scary that was because it was the car right next to me, blah blah blah. But then I realized that I had told the 911 operator 78 west when it was really 78 east. All I could picture in my mind was police cars and fire engine looking all over the 78 west for an suv and a jetta, when it was on the other side of the freeway. Oh crap, surely that is some kind of offense or misdemeanor, I'm not cut out for prison. I won't go back, I won't!
Well, hopefully everyone is fine and once again taking my parents advice did in fact safe my life tonight.