Sunday, October 24, 2004

Grease is good food

It was a gamble I know. Going 2 for 2 at a Chinese buffet is a rare occurrence and it did not happen for me. My sister and I went to that happy fun Chinese buffet out by the mall (that's not a good sign to begin with), It was really good until I started paying attention to how much grease I was consuming. I started getting that sweaty cold felling and it was not pretty. I tried to smooth my stomach with some ice cream but I should have known that never works, but I had to try. We then went over to the self esteem store, better know as Wal-Mart. Have you ever had to go open up the Rolaids in the store to eat them because if you didn't you might just have to lie down and die? It didn't help that people eat Big Mac's while they do their clothes shopping in Wal-Mart.

I made it home ok and got to watch Disney's Robin Hood with my nephews. I was very excited that they actually liked a movie that nobody dueled in and was not made in Japan. Don't get me wrong...no go ahead I hate all the new Yugio type shows. They make my head hurt and give me seizures. Remember when people in Japan were getting seizures from watching cartoons? Now that's a good cartoon. It's like extreme television watching, very risky. With my distain for these new cartoons I have rekindled my love for the classic movies of my youth.

Bedknobs and Broomsticks: Angela Lansbury sings, need I say more! It won an academy award in 1971 for Special Visual Effects. No, the special effects had nothing to do with the fact that the Murder She Wrote star sang while sitting on a broom, rather that she took kids and the dude from Mary Poppins under water to a cartoon world. It's a 138 minutes that you'll never get back.

Here is the Plot Summary for another favorite from when I was but a wee lass, Snowball Express (1972):
"When John Baxter inherits a ski resort in the Rocky Mountains, he quits his job in New York and moves the family west to run it. Only to find that the place is a wreck. But together they decide to try to fix it up and run it. But Martin Ridgeway, who wants the property, does everything he can to ensure it will fail."
Can you picture it in you head? Doesn't it sound like the greatest movie ever! It was when I was 6, it was just brilliant and I would watch it every day when we got our very first VCR. Can you dig it?

Yet another Plot summary for a great movie called Gus (1976)
"The California Atoms are in last place with no hope of moving up. But by switching the mule from team mascot to team member, (He can kick 100 yard field goals!) they start winning, and move up in the rankings, Hurrah! The competition isn't so happy."

The only thing I have to say about this movie other than it totally got the shaft at the Academy Awards, is that Tim Conway plays a man named Crankshaft. What else do you need to know? It's a field goal kicking mule people!

They just don't make them like they use to!